Friday, May 21, 2010

Male cat, neutered , 5 years old defecates in front of female cats litter box. How do I make him stop?

Female cat is 7 yrs. old spayed. She was here 1st since she was a kitten. Male is 5 yrs. old, and has lived here for 5 months. He chases the female, and they don't get along. There are 2 litter boxes. He uses his all the time but every morning he defecates in front of the females litter box. I have to put newspapers down so it doesn't get on my carpet. I have moved the boxes to separate rooms thinking this would help, but it doesn't. There are two areas of the house now where the cats can get food and water, and this hasn't helped. I show the male what he has done, use my fingers around his neck like a mother cats teeth, and say no to him. He knows he has done something bad, but he still keeps doing it. At his previous home he lived with a small dog. He started doing it 3 yrs.later when the 2nd dog came to live there. My son gave up on the cat and asked me to help. The cat was fine the first three months he lived with me. I am 64 and daughter 39 no children in the house.

Male cat, neutered , 5 years old defecates in front of female cats litter box. How do I make him stop?
The male is trying to show dominance over the female. He is the newcomer so he has to try to show the female that he is in control. If you have 2 litter boxes and he only makes the mess outside of the one she uses, then you can't really do much to stop him. Showing the mess to him does no good, because when you do that, the cat's reaction is "Yeah, it's mine. Thanks for pointing it out to me." He is only doing it instinctively and doesn't realize (and probably never will) that this is unacceptable behavior. Try making both of them use the same box for awhile. If that doesn't help then he is definitely doing it to dominate the female and you'll have to give him to someone who will keep him as their only pet. He is not happy being with other animals, that's obvious from his behavior at the former home.
Reply:Thank you Report It



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net